Group name - Hull Handbell Change Ringers

Treble Bob Methods

  Treble Bob Minor - Sandal

Sandal Treble Bob Minor

About Sandal Treble Bob Minor

Sandal Treble Bob Minor is a half lead variation on Oxford Treble Bob Minor. The Half Lead places, 56, disrupt the slow work and create a 3 pull in 3-4.

4ths place bell is the pivot bell and with the 6ths place lead end, the calling sequence for 6ths observation makes this a challenging method.

Site Sections:


Method Structure.

Place Notation:
X 34 X 16 X 12 X 16 X 12 X 56, 16, Bob 14, Single 1456.


Sandal Treble Bob Minor change rows with grid

Diagram: 6t.t.18.00 Sandal Treble Bob Minor, plain lead, change-rows and grid.

Plain Course structure
95% of this method is pure Oxford Treble Bob in structure. The remaining 5% has a disproportionate impact on the blue lines.


Learning Sandal Treble Bob Minor.

The Structure

Learning Sandal Treble Bob Minor after Oxford Treble Bob is deceptively easy, just a place under the treble at the half lead, and a couple of dodges instead of plain hunting.

The Rules

Sandal Treble Bob Minor - the rules
Ring Oxford Treble Bob until the treble lies behind.
When the Treble lies behind, 5ths place is made, and the bells in 1-2, and in 3-4 dodge.

Double Blue Lines

Double Blue Lines

Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 1-2

Sandal Treble Bob Minor on 1-2

Diagram: 6t.t.18.01 Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 1-2.


Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 3-4

Sandal Treble Bob Minor on 3-4

Diagram: 6t.t.18.02 Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 3-4.


Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 5-6

Sandal Treble Bob Minor on 5-6

Diagram: 6t.t.18.03 Sandal Treble Bob Minor, 5-6.

Place Notation


The half lead place disrupts the slow work and creates a 3-pull in 3-4.

Place Notation and Grid

The pictorial grid emphasises the structure of the method better than the Place Notation.


As with Oxford Treble Bob Minor, the rules are a good approach to the method, and splitting into individual elements is of no value.


Ringing Sandal Treble Bob Minor.

Track the treble

Awareness of the position of the treble is a key skill for most bellringing methods, and is the major key to ringing Sandal Treble Bob Minor. Some hints and tips for developing the skill are given in the techniques section.

The skill of following the treble that is used in ringing Oxford Treble Bob is brought into Sandal Treble Bob, so that as the treble dodges in 5-6 up, the ringers can be fully aware of the positions of their bells in preparation for the half lead dodge, and crucially for the work that follows.

Positional Awareness

Sandal Treble Bob Minor aids the development of awareness of 1-2, vs 3-4.

Place Notation Elements

The method only contains 5 elements (X, 34, 16, 12, 56), all of which will already have been rung.

Place Bells, Pivot Leads, and Staging posts

For 3-4 pair, the pivot point is when the pair dodges together in 1-2.
For 5-6 pair, the pivot point is when they triple dodge together in 3-4 under the treble.

Awareness of other bells

Most ringers on encountering Sandal Treble Bob find it quite tricky to ring well, and have little spare mental capacity for considering other bells.

Coursing Order in Sandal Treble Bob Minor

The Oxford places and half lead structure make coursing order quite difficult to apply to Sandal Treble Bob.

Ringing the Method

Sandal Treble Bob Minor makes excellent use of the skill of following the treble in combination with a simple structural variation on a standard method. It demands the level of concentration that is needed for a simple surprise method.


Bobs and Singles.

Bobs replace the 6ths place at the Lead End with 4ths. This causes the bell that has just made 3rds to make the bob, make thirds once more, and repeat the work of the pivot bell. As with Kent and Oxford TB., the bob introduces a dodge in 5-6 which connects with the method to create a 3-pull.

Singles Singles are rarely used in Sandal Treble Bob Minor.


Touches of Sandal Treble Bob Minor.

4ths place bell is the pivot bell, and hence the first lead end is 156342 giving calling positions from the tenor as:
Out, Home, 4ths, In, Wrong.

1: 144 Sandal Treble Bob Minor

144 Sandal Treble Bob Minor - Make the bob thrice

Before Home 4ths In Wrong 23456 53246 Changes

Bob 42356 52436 24
Bob 34256 54326 24
Bob 23456 53246 24

Total 3 X 24

Abel Code

4 4 4

2: 240 Sandal Treble Bob Minor

240 Sandal Treble Bob Minor

Before Home 4ths In Wrong 23456 53246 Changes

Bob Bob 45236 35426 60
Bob Bob 23456 53246 60

Total 2 X 60

Abel Code

2 ( 3 2 )

3: 720 Sandal Treble Bob Minor

720 Sandal Treble Bob Minor

Before Home 4ths In Wrong 23456 53246 Changes

Bob 35426 25346 60
Bob Bob 42356 52436 60

3 part Total 3 X 120

Abel Code

3 ( 2 3 2 )